Thursday, April 12, 2012

Flame Nails

I wanted to attempt the gorgeous flame nails that I have seen popping up in honour of The Hunger Games release. I mostly followed the amazing tutorial here over at Nails by Kayla Shevonne. Although it was extremely easy to follow I need a lot more practice :( I used orange and red for my gradient, instead of just red, and I did the design the opposite way around with the black at the top, instead of the bottom, of the nail.

Although not a step by step since Kayla's tutorial is fantastic I did take photos of each stage just to show what it looked like and to add comments about each step.

First I sponged Ulta3 Mango Mayhem onto almost 2/3 of my nails.


Then I sponged Revlon Revlon Red onto the top 1/3 of my nails.


At this point I would suggest you add a to coat since I found it a PITA to try and draw the outline of the flame on the uneven surface created from sponging the polishes. Then using OPI Black Onyx and a small brush I outlined the flames. Lol sorry got a bit excited and filled in one nail to see what it looked like!


Then I used the OPI brush to added drops of Black Onyx and then used the small nail art brush to fill in the rest of the black. Since the black filled up more of my nail than I had intended I sponged on some more Revlon Revlon Red at the tips of the flames.



Then finally I cleaned up the mess I had made on my fingers and added a thick coat of Seche Vite.

My left hand:
Flame Nails in Artificial Light
Flame Nails in Natural Light

My right hand:

Flame Nails in Artificial Light
Flame Nails in Natural Light
Flame Nails in Shade

If I ever did this manicure again I would try to keep the black higher up my nails as on my left hand the black takes up almost half my nails. Oh and do better flames! Hehe although I suck at nail art this has got to be one of the coolest I have ever done!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! It turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Flame Decals for Cars

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback! I'd love to hear from you and I read each and every comment :)